EAP post auth reject and access-challenge

Franks Andy (RLZ) IT Systems Engineer Andy.Franks at sath.nhs.uk
Mon Jun 10 18:29:57 CEST 2013

Hi,
  I have a setup that just does admin logins for NAS equipment, some of
it presents via PAP and some of it peap/mschapv2.

When the user is rejected I do a linelog or sql insert, capturing a
failure reason from each module.

Basically an EAP reject of a user creates two entries to the logging. I
do failure logging within the inner-tunnel VS as well as the default
because I wanted it to capture a failure reason to the line log based on
the module-failure-reason string, which is lost after the eap session
rejects and can't be seen in the default.

As you commented in an email from last week, updating the outer.control
variable to try and pass module-failure-reason doesn't work due to the
access-challenge presenting a new session.

I'm also doing some stuff in the authorization section which can reject
a user based on some ldap information. I thought I could perhaps just
update the default tunnel post-auth reject section to not do a linelog
if auth-type has been set to EAP but it doesn't work when clients are
rejected in this ldap section; the EAP auth-type is set but it never
authenticates as the reject is triggered first, and so a linelog would
never be recorded in the inner tunnel post auth reject section. I hope
that's not too confusing, it's hard to explain.

Thanks
Andy