Freeradius 3.0 build process different from 2.0?

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Fri Jun 14 17:18:44 CEST 2013

On 14 Jun 2013, at 15:35, <stefan.paetow at diamond.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have more a development question for Arran/Alan D about the build process for FR 3.0... has it changed significantly compared to v2.2.0?

Yes. We now use a modified version of Boilermake (a recursive makefile framework), it's significantly faster that the old sub-makefile system. You can't use module makefiles directly anymore, but you can specify modules as targets in the main make file.

The autoconf scripts have changed too. Some things are enabled by default if you're building from within a .git repository, such as experimental modules and developer CFLAGS. You'll probably want to pass --disable-developer to ./configure so optimisations get turned back on if you're building from git.

You will also need to generate the snakeoil certs using a post install hook as they're no longer generated on server startup and prepackaged certs should not be used for obvious reasons.

The server core itself checks for version consistency between the version of OpenSSL it was compiled with and the version on the system. I'm not sure what the best way to deal with that is.
We could relax the checks slightly, but Alan D was against it last time I spoke to him. Apparently the OpenSSL folks change the API in subversions, which can cause weird errors at runtime.

libtalloc is a new core dependency and should be marked as such.

> The reason I ask is that I would like to get started on a 3.0 build spec for CentOS (since the last version for CentOS 6.4 is v2.1.12, and 2.2.0 is officially only on Fedora 17). I have 'fudged' a build spec for v2.2.0 on CentOS 6 (John D, I can share it with you, if you prefer), so with Project Moonshot, I'd like to get going with a proper package for FR 3.0.

Go for it.

-Arran

FreeRADIUS Development Team