Config for 802.1x use on network switches

Nikolaos Milas nmilas at noa.gr
Tue May 7 13:27:35 CEST 2013

Hello,

We would like to enforce authentication for all clients connecting to
our network (wired or wireless), so that when a client connects, the
client will not be able to use the network unless it successfully
authenticates (e.g. via web) with a valid account (LDAP-based).

We have a network based mainly on Cisco 2950/2960 switches.

We are running a central LDAP Server (openldap) where we hold user
accounts, which are used for mail, ftp, web, Shibboleth access.

I guess we can enable 802.1x on switches and require authentication of
clients over freeradius.

Is there a suggested sample freeradius configuration for such use? Can
you please provide one or point me to a URL for it?

Can you share your experience and any pitfalls we should consider?

Any experiences on such use? Does this scale well (for about 20-30
switches)? Should we consider a central management solution? (Which?)

Thanks in advance,
Nick