New design/deployment of freeradius

Tena Gore tenag at fsusd.org
Wed May 22 01:58:10 CEST 2013

Hello,

I'm new to radius so I have some basic questions regarding the design and
deployment of our freeradius server.

We want to use freeradius for our BYOD deployment. We have the following:
Ubuntu, OpenLDAP, Ruckus Zone Director and a Safe_Connect NAC. Our
passwords are not clear text in ldap. We would like to avoid client
certificates and we would like to do dynamic VLAN assignments.

I'd like to verify that I'm on the right track here with setting up the
protocols and types to use.
We have to use PAP because of not having clear text passwords?
To avoid client certificates, we can use PEAP type of EAP?

Also, we have a wildcard domain SSL certificate, can this be used or do we
have to create a new one for this purpose on the server?

Is there a recommended configuration for this type of deployment? Do you
have any tips or tricks that would make our deployment go smoother?

Thanks!