FreeRADIUS + OpenLDAP for Wireless authentication

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed May 22 20:13:38 CEST 2013

Mantas Šiurkus wrote:
> I have configured FreeRADIUS to work with OpenLDAP. Created user in
> OpenLDAP. Radtest from localhost works perfect. But I can't connect from
> other devices (android phone, etc..). In logs I get:
>
> [ldap] No default NMAS login sequence
> [ldap] looking for check items in directory...
> [ldap] looking for reply items in directory...
> WARNING: No "known good" password was found in LDAP.  Are you sure that
> the user is configured correctly?

  If FreeRADIUS can't find the user's password, then one of two things
is true:

a) you've misconfigured FreeRADIUS to look in the wrong place

  or

b) the user doesn't have a password in LDAP.

> I think it is problem in plain text password or something?

  The problem is in the error message above.  Why look somewhere else?
Is the debug log *lying* to you?

> What can I do?

  Ensure that FreeRADIUS is configured correctly.  Ensure that the
rlm_ldap configuration is correct.  Ensure that the "known good"
password is found in ldap.