FR 3.0.0 / UnixODBC / Segmentation Fault

Grant Spradling gspradling at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 00:14:26 CET 2013

I have been running FreeRADIUS 2.x using a custom Microsoft SQL Server
database using UnixODBC.  I compiled version 3.0.0 on a new server, read
the migration documentation, and configured freeTDS and UnixODBC.

I verified that UnixODBC was working using the iSQL tool, connecting to the
freeradius datasource.

I copied mods-available/sql to mods-enabled/sql and configured it as such:

sql {
  driver="rlm_sql_unixodbc"
  dialect="mssql"
  server = "freeradius"
  login = "xxx"
  password = "xxx"
  radius_db = "radiusdb"
}

In addition, I specified the tables and left the other values as default.

I then configured my queries.conf file in the mssql directory.

When starting FreeRADIUS in debug, the following lines are output prior to
the segmentation fault:

sql {
        driver = "rlm_sql_unixodbc"
        server = "freeradius"
        port = ""
        login = "xxx"
        password = "xxx"
        radius_db = "radiusdb"
        read_groups = yes
        read_clients = no
        delete_stale_sessions = yes
        .
        .
        .
}

(sql): Driver rlm_sql_unixodbc (module rlm_sql_unixodbc) loaded and linked.
(sql): Attempting to connect to database "radiusdb"
rlm_sql (sql): Initialising connection pool
  pool {
          start = 5
          min = 4
          max = 10
          spare = 3
          uses = 0
          lifetime = 0
          cleanup_delay = 5
          idle_timeout = 60
          spread = no
  }
(sql): Opening additional connection (0)
Segmentation fault

If I modify sql and set the driver = "rlm_sql_null" then FreeRADIUS starts
up without error.

Any ideas?

Grant Spradling