Question on what AAA attribute is available in the FreeRadius for responses back to a Cisco HA request for "chap password" & "chap challenge" from a Mobile device.

Milton Volz miltonvolz at xpressroam.com
Wed Nov 20 17:49:27 CET 2013

Hi,

We are looking for help or guidance on what AAA attribute is available in the FreeRadius for responses back to a Cisco HA request for "chap password" & "chap challenge" from a Mobile device.

Currently installed: freeradius-server-2.1.12, running on Linux Cent OS 6.4 - x64, Cisco HA 5.3 running on a Cisco SAMI blade in a 7604

Brief Background:

Our application is providing a "proxy" alternative Cisco HOME AGENT and DAY PASS service for the Carriers that have subscribers that do not have roaming agreements with the Home Carrier they are attempting to register too, that are currently not served & dropped with no service, today.  We have completed live production test with a Tier 2 Carrier and found out from lab testing to live testing that we would not be able to ignore the MN-AAA key and "hotline" the user with a AAA profile using a "local" config with the Cisco as stated in the Cisco HA 5.3 documentation (Typical Cisco document).  We now have to use the "remote" capabilities of the Cisco HA for authentication and authorization, versus local Cisco HA config.

Question:

We now need to use the FreeRadius to manage both the MN-HA and MN-AAA keys and respond back to the Cisco HA properly to complete the device registration back to the Cisco HA.  We have used the "3gpp2-mn-ha-shared-key" for the MN-HA attribute and response to the Cisco HA & tested this successfully, but are not able to find or determine what attribute to use for the response back to the Cisco HA for the "chap password" & "chap challenge" for the MN-AAA, which we are receiving from the Cisco HA.  We are trying to determine if such an attribute exist and if so, which one will do the trick.

I hope this is enough information and understandable in such a short write up.  Please let me know if you have any suggestions or can point us in the right direction for the resources to resolve this.

Thanks,

Milton