Throttle Authentication Requests

Fahad Saleem addyrocker at gmail.com
Sat Nov 30 01:36:49 CET 2013

Greetings All,

What would be the best way to rate limit the number of authentication
requests. Our current setup has one server doing 150 Auths per sec but
under certain circumstances during GGSN migrations the auths per seconds go
up to 1000 for a 20 to 30 minute period before things start to calm down.
So I was wondering if this was possible in anyway from the freeradius end,
kind of as a safe guard. I've looked at the rlm_cache module and the idea
of getting packets dropped is a bit scary. Any thoughts about this will be
appreciated!

Regards