Active Directory Group Membership filtering query

Simon Grierson Simon.Grierson at cancer.org.uk
Tue Oct 1 16:07:35 CEST 2013

Hi there,

I'm new to freeradius, and am setting it up purely in a test environment before deploying live.

We're using Freeradius 2.2.0 and Ubuntu server 12.04 .3 lts with Active Directory and Fortinet Fortigate based APs

We're trying to achieve the following:
Authentication via Active Directory, but with access granted depending on AD Group membership.

EG:  User A Is allowed Wifi access,  as they are in Wifi-Users group
User B is not as they do not have membership of this group.

So we have the Freeradius server up and running, and it can authenticate against AD fine, but I cant figure out the group filtering portion of the setup.

The documentation points to configuring the modules/ldap file to point to our LDAP server (I.E. our AD server0, and to configure the /users  file with the following line

DEFAULT Ldap-Group == "CN=sec-eduroam-users,OU=Access,OU=SecurityGroups,OU=Groups,DC=testres,DC=org"
DEFAULT Auth-Type = Reject

When I run freeradius in debug mode, we get all the usual output but no ldap modules mentioned

It dues include modules/ldap but little else.

FYI I have built this 3 times,

1.       With 13.04 Ubuntu Server and Freeradius 2.2.0 from source

2.       With 12.04 lts with FR 2.2.1 from source

3.       With 12.04 lts with FR from the Launchpad based package ppa:freeradius/stable which is from 2.2.0

I can authenticate against LDAP and pull down group information using command line queries, so I know that LDAP is installed correctly and working in the linux build.

What I cant get is LDAP to work through free radius.

Am I doing something wrong, is there a better way to do this?

Any help appreciated!

NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER
This e-mail (including any attachments) is intended for the above-named person(s). If you are not the intended recipient, notify the sender immediately, delete this email from your system and do not disclose or use for any purpose.

We may monitor all incoming and outgoing emails in line with current legislation. We have taken steps to ensure that this email and attachments are free from any virus, but it remains your responsibility to ensure that viruses do not adversely affect you.
Cancer Research UK
Registered charity in England and Wales (1089464), Scotland (SC041666) and the Isle of Man (1103)
A company limited by guarantee.  Registered company in England and Wales (4325234) and the Isle of Man (5713F).
Registered Office Address: Angel Building, 407 St John Street, London EC1V 4AD.