lifetime of dynamic clients

steve at comitcon.be steve at comitcon.be
Wed Oct 2 18:51:37 CEST 2013

Dear Alan

see my comments below
> steve at comitcon.be wrote:
>> I have rebuild freeradius on debian 7.0. I have added rlm_raw and have a
>> working dynamic client configuration where I use Called_Station_ID to
>> authenticate / validate that a NAS is allowed to use this radius server.
>
>   That's not a recommended configuration.

1. FreeRadius lacks the ability to actually run Nas's behind a link with a
dynamic IP. Although not recommended, this software does not support a
proper way of dealing with this.

>> I wait for a couple of minutes
>> and I executed the following command of client A:
>>  echo "NAS-IP-Address=10.1.2.236,
>> Called-Station-Id=00:40:96:aa:bb:cc,User-Name='testradius',User-Password='test',"
>> | radclient -c '1' -n '3' -r '3' -t '3' -x '46.18.36.232:1812' 'auth'
>> 'mysecret'
>>
>> This has a faulty Called-Station-Id in it. I would assume that it would
>> not allow me to connect. But this appears to still work.

This is indeed a fake. I have added this in mysql in the nas table under
the field community (described in ify /yfi setup). The connection actually
works. I can (ab)use this field as much as desired

>   Of course.  RADIUS depends on IP addresses, not on Called-Station-Id.
>  This is documented in the "dynamic_clients" configuration.  Right at
> the top of the virtual server.

Yes, I have read the documentation (multiple sources, google etc...) I was
just wondering what happens when you use the raw module.

>> I am wondering
>> - The first time the IP address of client A is added to the list of
>> known
>> client
>> - So the second time , it will check first in the list if the IP is
>> known,
>> if so it won't go checking using the process defined in dynamic clients?
>
>   That's what the documentation says.

Again, yep, read the docs... It is also stated in the yfi docs in the
remarks below their dynamic client section.

>> But no matter how long I wait, it appears that the cache if not cleared.
>>
>> I have added a lifetime of 60 in the dynamic client conf, so I would
>> assume that if I wait for a minute, the IP of client A would not be
>> known,
>> and it would go through checking again.
>
>   That's how it works.
>
>> Am I wrong in this? If not can I read the cache to find out why it is
>> keeping that record?
>
>   You can use "radmin" to query the server about a client.  It won't
> show you the lifetime of that client.  But it will show you if the
> client still exists.

Is a client defined by a NAS or a user? Because I need to figure out how
or when the dynamic client is remove from the cache?
>   And as always, run the server in debugging more.  READ the output.  It
> tells you exactly what's going on, and why.

The output shows indeed when it goes through the the dynamic server
section and once it is authenticated it only runs through the default
(which is understandable)

Steve