Digest Authentication with a Cisco device

Philip Walenta philip.walenta at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 21:22:26 CEST 2013

I'm trying to do what might be an odd configuration.

I'm attempting to digest auth users without caring about their "User-name"
attribute.

So in other words I want to auth on the "Digest-User-Name = "testuser""
that comes in as part of the Digest-Attributes and a password.

So in the users file I have "DEFAULT          Cleartext-password :=
"password""

I created a partial digest file but it appears to be ignored on every test:
Digest-User-Name = "testuser"
Digest-Algorithm = "MD5"
Digest-QOP = "auth"

In the debug I see:
[digest] A1 = testuser:sp.eng:passwod

I can change to username to anything I want and as long as the password is
correct the user will auth.

Am I attempting something impossible or doing it incorrectly?