load balancing radius with F5 devices

Vincent, Fabien fabien.vincent at coreye.fr
Wed Oct 9 12:12:36 CEST 2013

Hi,

Just to give some infos if I can help (this mailing has helped me a lot !)

I have F5 BigIP devices in two 2 DCs. They have each a VirtualServer with a shared IP (not activated in VLANs used to communicate between the 2 DC to avoid IP conflits, a much simple config for NAS - only one IP address for server).

Everything works fine with the following config :

The Virtual Server ( IP is A.B.C.D has it's public for external DC .......)

ltm virtual /Common/VS-RADIUS-AUTH {
    destination /Common/A.B.C.D:1812
    ip-protocol udp
    mask 255.255.255.255
    pool /Common/POOL-RADIUS-AUTH
    profiles {
        /Common/radiusLB { }
        /Common/udp { }
    }
    source 0.0.0.0/0
    translate-address enabled
    translate-port enabled
    vlans {
	[...]
    }
    vlans-enabled
}

The pool used :

ltm pool /Common/POOL-RADIUS-AUTH {
    members {
        /Common/10.10.6.7:1812 {
            address 10.10.6.7
        }
        /Common/10.20.6.3:1812 {
            address 10.20.6.3
    monitor /Common/Radius-Auth
}

The monitor :

ltm monitor radius /Common/Radius-Auth {
    debug no
    defaults-from /Common/radius
    destination *:*
    interval 30
    nas-ip-address 10.16.81.11
    password Monitor
    secret **************
    time-until-up 0
    timeout 31
    username radius at domain
}

Profile radiusLB is the following :

ltm profile radius radiusLB {
    clients none
    persist-avp none
}

And one other not used but available in default config.

ltm profile radius radiusLB-subscriber-aware {
    defaults-from radiusLB
    subscriber-aware enabled
}

If I look at pool statistics, each servers has equivalent volume of requests (48.1k against 48.2k).

You could play with Priority Group depending location or failover architecture of Radius if you want ....

Fabien VINCENT
Ingénieur Réseaux & Sécurité / ASSR Produits
Niveau 3 - Infrastructure & Produits
fabien.vincent at coreye.fr