time delay in ntlm_auth?

Rui Ribeiro ruyrybeyro at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 19:06:06 CEST 2013

Hi,

I have just been timing my 2.1.12 setup in Debian 7, authenticating in an
AD via samba 3.6.6, and selecting VPN via LDAP groups.

The point is that a EAP connections can take around 162ms-190ms, of which
30ms account to the EAP negotiation, 13-20ms taken in ntlm_auth running in
command line, and around 100 ms more when processing mschap/ntlm_auth
inside freeradius.

 Any ideia where I could find the culprit, or profile it? I suspect it is
due to the forking of ntlm_auth. The CPU is practically idle with a couple
thousand users per day. No lack of memory too.

Finally, do you find 160ms-200ms an acceptable time to authenticate, or do
I need to dig it further on?

Regards,
Rui Ribeiro