Unix Crypt passwords + Windows 7

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Oct 17 02:34:10 CEST 2013

Thomas Hewton-Waters wrote:
> I have an existing database of users with their passwords encrypted
> using Unix crypt(). A wireless AP is set for WPA/WPA2 using the RADIUS
> server to validate user logins. This works great using EAP-GTC for all
> clients except Windows. Windows doesn’t support EAP-GTC.

  You can use PEAP + GTC.  That should work.

  And you should NOT be using EAP-GTC by its own.  It leaks the
passwords, by sending them over the air in clear-text.

> Here are a few things I can’t do:
>
> ·         Install certificates on the Windows clients
>
> ·         Install a supplicant on the Windows clients

  Well, you're stuck.

> Is there anything I can do to get the Windows clients to authenticate
> without changing the Windows configuration?

  You need to install the servers certificate on the Windows box for EAP
to work.

  You're really asking "how do I add more security without changing
anything".  The answer is (of course) "you can't."