interaction between Virtual server & Authorize section

Okis Chuang okischuang at outlook.com
Mon Oct 21 05:53:07 CEST 2013

Hi all,

I have two running virtual servers listening different auth port(1645 and
1812), first one for wifi service Authorization and the second for radius
check from our NMS by sending simulated auth request.

Virtual Server listening on 1645 is connecting to DB by number of sockets,
but the other one listening on 1812 doesn't. Just proxy auth request to
external AAA and return reply to NMS.

My question is: Suppose the DB that one of our virtual server connected is
slow, does this virtual server would impact operations of the other virtual
server that for NMS? For example, causing other authorized procedures in
another virtual server becoming delayed.

That is, even virtual server "A" only has few operation to check, while "B"
has much more things need to check and unfortunately maybe it could have low
performance DB backend, does B might occupy resource in whole Authorize
section so that A also become more and more busier?

In fact, I got many times of Error msg "child is hung for request in
component authorize module" in radius.log. I would not think the loading in
our server was really much high enough for causing late response to
simulated request from our NMS per *minute*. Our wifi auth request per day
is among 2000~3000 in average.

So I was curious that is there any mutual influence or interaction between
different virtual servers in the same section.

If yes, then I think our new DB is highly suspicious.

Best regards,

Okis.