DHCP reply not leaving machine

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Oct 28 14:55:31 CET 2013

On 28/10/13 13:28, Alan DeKok wrote:

>    The next step is to bypass the normal socket code, and do the typical
> DHCP server thing of creating && sending raw packets.  I may be able to
> get that in today.

If you do add this, *please* leave it as an option, with normal UDP
sockets there too.

One of the most IRRITATING things about the ISC DHCP server (aside from
it's crappy logging) is that it bypasses the OS IP stack - not only does
this mean various tricks like policy routing don't work, but since the
link-layer processing has to be hard-coded for each interface/link type,
esoteric things (GRE, IP/IP) can't run an ISC dhcp listener.

[One of the things I (eventually) want to use FR DHCP for is GRE tunnels.]