Freeradus service goes down

John Douglass john.douglass at oit.gatech.edu
Mon Oct 28 21:38:03 CET 2013

On 10/28/2013 04:14 PM, Alan DeKok wrote:
> Roberto Carna wrote:
>> Dear, I have a Freeradius server running OK, authenticating against an
>> AD. The Debian package is 2.1.12+dfsg-1.2 version.
>>
>> The problem is that the service goes down 2 o 3 times a week, and I
>> can't know tha cause. I see the /var/log/freeradius/radisu.log but
>> there is nothing important I think.
>    Upgrade.  We'll be releasing version 2.2.2 tomorrow.
>
>    Alan DeKok.
> -
> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html
One thing I will be testing tomorrow is a more recent version of Samba
3.x. There are a number of bugs relating to winbind that might be
causing some of these (if you are using RHEL in some form, the versions
are always slow to move).

Some of the bugs that I reviewed in the changelogs are:

Given that RHEL is always way behind on versioning, I took a minute to
glance at the changelogs for more recent versions of Samba then
available via RHN.

The current version of RHN is topped at 3.6.9

I have found repositories that will allow us to upgrade (fairly easily
since I did it on devel in 5 minutes) to 3.6.19

Here are a few bugs that might have some bearing in our environment

* 3.6.19 - BUG 9994: s3-winbind: Do not delete an existing valid
credential cache.
* 3.6.15 - BUG 9854: Fix crash bug in Winbindd (considered a major
enhancement)
* 3.6.14 - BUG 9735: Fix Winbind separator in upn to username conversion.
* 3.6.13 - BUG 9684: Fix two resource leaks in winbindd. (considered a
major enhancement)
* 3.6.10 - BUG 9367: Use work around for 'winbind use default domain'
only if it is set. (unsure)
* 3.6.10 - BUG 9386: Winbind: Failover if netlogon pipe is not
available. (unsure)

The problems we are seeing only occur under load. I am hopefully that
2.2.2 will help mitigate some of these, but just sharing what I found. I
will know more in a week of this helps our situation. We will definitely
be upgrading to 2.2.2 but the samba upgrades will be done first just to
rule out any of the above bugs.

http://www.mavinerc.com/home/2012/04/30/howto-update-samba-to-the-latest-build-using-yum/

- John Douglass