panic_action / ptrace: Operation not permitted

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Tue Apr 1 12:17:05 CEST 2014

> I ran the panic_action command-line as root on a running process - and
> get the ptrace just fine.
>
> I read up on this on Google, and found that this would typically be a
> problem when using the "yama" security module, which I don't (there is
> no /proc/sys/kernel/yama subdir).
>
> This is a very recent system, openSUSE 13.1 with current patchlevel. The
> kernel is the shipped SuSE-flavoured "default" kernel.
>
> Before I dig into running a vanilla kernel to see if there's SUSE magic
> happening on their flavour - am I looking at the wrong place? Is this
> problem known and solved?

I had the yama problem on ubuntu, and poking the relevant file in the
yama subdir solved it. But if you're not running yama... hmm.

OK, someone reporting *exactly* the same problem back in 2008 on the
GBD list.

Here is the fix they helpfully posted:
https://www.sourceware.org/ml/gdb/2008-01/msg00246.html

Here's the original message: