Walk through for External CA usage

Mathieu Simon (Lists) matsimon.lists at simweb.ch
Wed Apr 2 06:58:30 CEST 2014

Am 02.04.2014 01:30, schrieb Alan DeKok:
> Sam Fakhreddine wrote:
>> Does anyone have a walk through for how to use external certs instead of
>> the internal certification?
>
>   I'm not sure what that means.  The certificates are just files.  If
> you have a certificate, you can just put it into raddb/certs/, and tell
> FreeRADIUS to use it.
>
>> The internet is full of copy-paste from the documents on how to use the
>> internal cert authority.
>
>   I would separate *creating* the certs from *using* them.
>
>   The process of creating certs is complicated, but documented:
>
> http://deployingradius.com/documents/configuration/certificates.html
>
>   Using certs is just editing the configuration files, and pointing to
> the correct files.

If you follow Alans recommendation to "leave the Validate Server
Certificate box (or equivalent) un-checked" you are likely to get to a
quick working result. If you plan to do verification on the client side
and not just ignore its content you have to send intermediate
certificates (the correctly ordered way).

https://www.mail-archive.com/freeradius-users@lists.freeradius.org/msg84043.html

Alan: I think some of us lurkers including myself got the message on the
list... if you want (even) better doc, contribute.

-- Mathieu

---