Freeradius-Users Digest, Vol 108, Issue 20

Eugene Grosbein fr at grosbein.net
Sat Apr 5 19:12:22 CEST 2014

On 05.04.2014 21:39, A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> I found these issues with 2.2.0 but we can workaround them.
>> 2.2.4 is much, much gravy in our setup and we could not find workarounds
>> for all these coredumps.
>
> I'm hearing you but I'm not seeing any debug/bugs reported. that means
> that when 2.2.5 comes out it might not fix these things either...as theres
> no record of them

I observe memory corruption while using freeraidus-2.2.4 with perl/DBI/ODBC/freetds.
Memory corruption occur while rlm_perl runs embedded perl and lead to coredumps.
That is, I added some checks to freeradius C code and see
that before execution jumps to the perl, memory structures of C code are fine
but they are damaged on exiting from the perl to C again.
Then coredump is imminent then.

With 2.2.0 the whole construct works much more stable, coredumps are very seldom.

> regarding using variables globally across threads... its not
> clearly documented in rlm_perl docs etc - as its a function of PERL
> and you'll find examples of doing this on the mailing list
> history...but basically read the PERL docs about threads eg
>
> http://perldoc.perl.org/threads.html

Yes, I use variables shared betwheen perl threads.
I use corresponding locking for them very carefully.