OpenSSL Security issues

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Tue Apr 8 17:11:21 CEST 2014

On 8 Apr 2014, at 14:28, Phil Mayers <p.mayers at IMPERIAL.AC.UK> wrote:

> On 08/04/14 13:41, Alan DeKok wrote:
>
>>   Yes.  And unfortunately there's no run-time check to say that OpenSSL
>> has been patched to address the vulnerability.  <sigh>
>
> And AFAICT no run-time way to disable the extension. Grumble.

Yep. That was pretty much the first thing I checked this morning.

I agree, adding runtime checks is the better option.

I actually added a runtime check first, and was going to add a
configure time check, but after discussions with Alan offlist
we decided it was better to just leave it.

As per your suggestion there's now a security.allow_vulnerable_openssl
configuration item which enables or disables the security check.

	#
	#  allow_vulnerable_openssl: Allow the server to start with
	#  versions of OpenSSL known to have critical vulnerabilities.
	#
	#  This check is based on the version number reported by libssl
	#  and may not reflect patches applied to libssl by
	#  distribution maintainers.
	#
	allow_vulnerable_openssl = no

If you have a potentially vulnerable version of OpenSSL the server
will print:

Refusing to start with libssl version %s (in range 1.0.1 - 1.0.1f).  Security advisory CVE-2014-0160 (Heartbleed)
For more information see http://heartbleed.com

end exit.

radiusd -xv will now print out the decoded version number to give