OpenSSL Security issues

stefan.paetow at diamond.ac.uk stefan.paetow at diamond.ac.uk
Tue Apr 8 17:52:09 CEST 2014

> Please don't do that, for the exact reasons you outlined.
>
> Hardcoding a version number blacklist into the build environment just
> means everyone building against an enterprise distro will have to patch
> your changes out.
>
> I realise it's a serious vulnerability, but "configure.in" of a project
> using the library is not the right place to address this.
>
> You'd be better off adding a runtime check and refusing to start
> without "allow_unsafe_openssl" global set or similar, if you must. At
> least that way people can configure the server to start once they've
> patched.

Response from Fedora project was:

"I took the approach of least resistance, which was to patch the bug. The OpenSSL maintainers have whatever reason they have to keeping OpenSSL at 1.0.1e and it wasn't my place to change that. It also happens to be the approach that RHEL took."

There we have it. Path of least bleating and most expediency.

:-)

Stefan