Can freeRADIUS originate CoA Acks?

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Sat Apr 12 02:54:00 CEST 2014

On 11 Apr 2014, at 17:29, Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com> wrote:

> Chavez, Andres ((HP Networking - Roseville)) wrote:
>> I know freeRADIUS can originate CoA packets.  I configured this and is
>> working perfectly.  However, I am in need of freeRADIUS (acting as
>> proxy) to originate CoA Acks when it receives a CoA packet destined for
>> the NAS.
>
>  OK... Proxies don't originate anything.  They proxy a reply, if it exists.
>
>> 1.      freeRADIUS intercepts Accept packets and modifies before sending
>> to NAS.
>>
>> 2.      freeRADIUS intercepts CoA packets and sends SOAP commands to NAS
>> to perform actions in the CoA attributes.
>>
>> 3.      freeRADIUS forwards CoA packet to NAS (which NAS ignores.)
>
>  That's the issue.  Don't forward the CoA packet to the NAS.  Instead,
> have FreeRADIUS just send a CoA-ACK.

As Alan says the proxying part isn't necessary here, the server can just
terminate CoA requests locally, there's no need to forward them.

You just need a listen section with type CoA.

I think Nathan Jenne and Freeman Huang have both worked with FreeRADIUS
before, so you might want to talk to them if you're stuck.

FreeRADIUS Development Team