MySQL Cluster + FreeRADIUS

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Wed Apr 23 16:38:29 CEST 2014

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 8:51 PM, Antonio Modesto <modesto at isimples.com.br>wrote:

>  Hi there,
>
> We are an ISP and we want to build a high redundancy radius environment.
> We are thinking about using the MySQL Cluster DBMS, once it would be
> compatible with our actual schema and would not require any changes in our
> management application or freeradius.

What do you mean by "compatible with our actual schema and would not
require any changes in our management application or freeradius"?

If you mean "you already have FR + mysql setup running, and want to change
it to mysql cluster, but don't want to change anything else", then I'd
actually recomend against it. Some types of data (e.g. archive of radius
accounting data) is not suitable to be stored in mysql cluster, so changes
WILL be needed.

> Has anybody got any experience with this scenario? If so, what had to be
> changed? Were the results good? I would be very thankful for any tips.

Without knowing the details, the answer would be "yes, people have
implemented such setup". Whether it's good or not would depend on your
particular priority. An example of change that might be needed is to setup
a mechanism to store old accounting data somewhere else, like by storing
accounting data in more than one location (i.e. one of them is on a normal,
non-cluster mysql instance) and only keep most recent data in the cluster.

In some cases it's actually better to NOT use mysql cluster (the NDB one),
but use the other replication/cluster alternatives (e.g. galera, or normal
master-slave replication).

networkradius.com provides commercial consulting for FR implementations, so
if you want authoritative answer you might want to look at that.

--
Fajar