3.x behaviour w.r.t. unused modules

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sun Aug 31 17:31:02 CEST 2014

Phil Mayers wrote:
> I've just noticed something odd. If I have a module in mods-enabled but
> it's not referenced anywhere, FreeRADIUS still seems to load it and
> perform module instantiation including e.g. setting up connection pools.

  That's how it works.  It's an enabled module.

> I don't think 2.x used to do that, or am I imagining it?

  2.x didn't do that, because it had no "mods-enabled" directory.  It
loaded all of the modules which were used.

  Adding a mods-enabled directory solved some problems with the way that
v2 did it.  But... at the cost of other side effects.

> For us that's undesirable as we use "radiusd -n" and start several
> processes up,

  Hmm... that's what virtual servers are for, right?

> and I don't really want to have multiple mods-enabled just
> to avoid instantiating e.g. SQL/redis/LDAP connections in server
> processes that don't reference the module.
>
> I can work around it, but am wondering if this is expected?

  It's expected.