VSA Processing embedded values

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Dec 31 14:23:18 CET 2014

On Dec 31, 2014, at 5:16 AM, Ben Gatewood <Ben.Gatewood at essensys.co.uk> wrote:
> I am processing Accounting records from a vendor who overloads VSA 255 to extend the range of available attributes. For instance, they may send something like this:
>
> VENDOR-Attr-255 = "272=Yes”
>
> Which really means VSA 272 = “Yes”

  Which is a terrible idea.  Horrific, even.

> I am struggling a bit to figure out how to process these effectively. I found rlm_attr_rewrite but I can’t see a way to make it split the string and drop the “272=“ part. Is there a way to do this in unlang at all or am I going to need to bring in rlm_python or similar?

  Removing the “272=“ text won’t help.  You’ll get a bare “Yes”, which isn’t very meaningful.

  I’d have to ask WHICH vendor does this.  That information shouldn’t be secret.  And WHY you need this re-written.  What are you doing with the data?

  There’s likely a better way of getting the “Yes” out, which doesn’t involve rewriting an attribute.