EAP-PEAP drops attributes

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sun Feb 23 04:06:37 CET 2014

freerad at spambin.de wrote:
> I've set up a Cisco WLC carrying several SSIDs authenticating against
> freeradius using EAP-PEAP. I would like to make it so that specific users
> can only connect to some SSIDs.
> Requests contain the attribute "Airespace-Wlan-Id" which contains the
> numeric index of the SSID the request is associated to.
>
> I have therefore set up my users file like this:
>
> test1   Auth-Type == EAP, Airespace-Wlan-Id == 2, NAS-IP-Address == 192.168.225.110, Cleartext-Password := "test1"

  Which is wrong.  The "Auth-Type == EAP" comparison is useless.  Delete
it.  The NAS-IP-Address is also causing a problem.

  The FAQ says to create a name and a password like this:

test1 Cleartext-Password := "test1"

  Do that, and it will work.  Then, gradually change the configuration,
testing it each time.  The "man" page describes this process.

> This, however, doesn't seem to work as freeradius seems to drop the
> Airespace-Wlan-Id attribute while processing the request.

  No.

> As can be seen
> in the debug trace (debug_fail.txt), the user is being matched at first
> ([files] users: Matched entry test1 at line 173) but isn't found later on.

  Yes, because you didn't set "copy_request_to_tunnel = yes" in the eap
module.  This is documented.

> When I remove that one check from the users file leaving
>
> test1   Auth-Type == EAP, NAS-IP-Address == 192.168.225.110, Cleartext-Password := "test1"
>
> the request is being accepted (see debug_ok.txt).
>
> The reject is clearly coming from freeradius being unable to match the
> request against the users file therefore being unable to get to the
> cleartext password, but only when I'm checking the Airespace-Wlan-Id
> attribute. However, as can be seen, the attribute is present in the
> request and the user is matched at first, even for the failed attempt.
>
> This is freeradius 2.1.8 on Ubuntu 10.04, I'm not using inner-tunnel for
> EAP.
>
> I'm clearly missing something here, could somebody point me in the right
> direction?

  Ensure that you understand the configuration you're using.  Ensure
that you start off with the simplest possible configuration that works,
and then gradually make it more complex.