Server Scaling

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Thu Jan 9 20:07:35 CET 2014

On 9 Jan 2014, at 18:30, David Peterson <davidp at wirelessconnections.net> wrote:

> Here is the core data:
> 200 NAS
> 50,000 WiMax users
> 1 authentication per day
> Protocol EAP-TTLS
> MySQL database (either on the same server or off, looking for
> recommendations on that).
> Accounting (looking for a recommendation on whether or not it should be
> hosted separately.
>
> Is that enough information or am I still missing something?

For accounting data the bulk of the packets are usually interims, so you need to specify what the interim interval will be.

Is there a particular reason every single one of your subscribers will re-authenticate at least once a day?

What will be the maximum number of users connected to a single NAS (will it be 250, or will some NAS have more)? Are the NAS completely independent? Is there anything that could cause all subscribers to drop offline and come back at once, or will such incidents be limited to a single NAS?

FreeRADIUS Development Team