FreeRadius unauthorized access

Lovaas,Steven Steven.Lovaas at ColoState.EDU
Fri Jan 31 21:19:10 CET 2014

Mike,

You've snipped single lines from your logs to illustrate, but I suspect that there may be adjacent log entries that tell the story. Looks like you're seeing the outer identity, which is not what FR passes on to AD for authentication.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: freeradius-users-bounces+steven.lovaas=colostate.edu at lists.freeradius.org [mailto:freeradius-users-bounces+steven.lovaas=colostate.edu at lists.freeradius.org] On Behalf Of Mike Diggins
Sent: Friday, January 31, 2014 12:33 PM
To: FreeRadius users mailing list
Subject: FreeRadius unauthorized access

I'm running a FreeRadius server which authenticates to a Microsoft Windows 8 Active Directory via winbind and NTLM_AUTH. The service is used by a Cisco wireless network which uses WPA2 for user authentication (MS PEAP). My software versions are:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux (v. 5 for 64-bit x86_64)
freeradius2-2.1.12-4.el5_8 (RedHat)
samba3x-winbind-3.5.10-0.110.el5_8 (RedHat)

It came to my attention recently that some users may be gaining unauthorized access. An account was seen to be granted access (according to the FreeRadius log) even though the account does not exist within the AD, nor is it a local FreeRadius account (not that I can see anyway).
What I see in my logs is:

Jan 15 12:23:34 xxxxx radiusd[20330]: Login OK: [whoiswho] (from client xxxx port 13 cli xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx) Jan 18 08:07:58 xxxxx radiusd[22212]: Login OK: [hi] (from client xxxx port 13 cli xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx)

The same accounts also appear on the wireless controller. To the best of my knowledge those accounts do not exist anywhere but somehow they are being authenticated. Blocking the account with an Auth-Type := Reject prevents it from authenticating. I've tested with the same account names using no password and various random passwords but I'm correctly denied access each time. I'm attempting to capture some more extensive logging during one of these logins but until I do, does anyone recognize a scenario where this might happen?

-Mike

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html