Adding a 4th slave to cluster, sort of

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Thu Jul 17 23:27:36 CEST 2014

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 3:58 AM, Ryan Milton <rmilton at mvsusa.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> My first real question here:
> For starters:  FreeRADIUS Version 2.1.12, for host
> i386-portbld-freebsd8.2, built on Nov 10 2011

you didn't mention which backend you use (e.g. mysql)

> Unfortunately, my network runs old versions of FreeBSD/FreeRADIUS. That is
> a work to change, but that isn¹t my question.
>
> Question here involves creating a ³4th slave² that will replicate the
> radaccount table from the three other slaves/master so that only the one
> server needs to be queried.
>
> The new box is Ubuntu server, so I know that I can¹t exactly copy another
> slave, but will have to do some kind of dump.
>
> My question is, is it possible to replicate the entire cluster¹s data
> relating to the accounting to the one box? I don¹t really have an idea of
> how that would work as it would be a slave to the other slaves, as well.

There are several ways to do that.

If you don't care about accuracy (i.e. you can afford missing some
accounting packets), using rlm_replicate is fastest and easiest.

Another way is to configure FR to write TWO detail files, then
configure two detail readers: one to feed data to backend on your
master, the other to feed data to backend on your slave. See
decoupled-accounting and copy-acct-to-home-server in
raddb/sites-available for some hints.

Last, if you use mysql, see
https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb/mariadb-documentation/replication-cluster-multi-master/replication/multi-source-replication/

--