Machine authentications with proxy-inner-tunnel and NPS as backend

Wang, Yu ywang10 at fsu.edu
Wed Jul 23 17:02:22 CEST 2014

I got our machine wireless auth working under similar configuration as yours except we use FreeRadius with NTLM. No Windows NPS involved. I ran into username and password incorrect issue during setup and fixed it on FR configuration by adding '$' to username:

Under authorize {}  section of the inner-tunnel.
if ( "%{request:User-Name}" =~ /(^host\/)(some regular expression to match machine name pattern)(some regular expression to match domain pattern)*$/i) {
                update request {
                       Stripped-User-Name := "%{2}$"
Then pass " Stripped-User-Name " to NTLM.

Hope this helps.

Yu Wang
Network Architect
Information Technology Services