Freeradius authentification against Kerberos

Stefan Paetow Stefan.Paetow at ja.net
Thu Jul 24 11:09:14 CEST 2014

Yes, absolutely.

Set the TTLS default_eap_type to mschapv2 and you should be ok... you will need to use SAMBA on the FreeRADIUS box to talk to ActiveDirectory, but the instructions that Alan DeKok has at http://deployingradius.com/documents/configuration/active_directory.html are pretty concise and explanatory. Alternatively, read http://wiki.freeradius.org/guide/FreeRADIUS-Active-Directory-Integration-HOWTO (which apparently was updated 2 days ago). :-)

One thing that you have to be aware of (which Alan does not mention but the How-To on the FreeRADIUS site does) is that you must grant read access for the freerad user (on Ubuntu, radiusd on RHEL systems) to the winbindd_privileged directory. One way is to add the user to the winbind group (I think it's wbpriv on RHEL, might be similar on Ubuntu), otherwise you will get an error from ntlm_auth when it attempts an authentication when running as user radiusd/freerad.

But if you follow the instructions, it is easy to integrate FreeRADIUS with AD.

Stefan