Regression in FreeRADIUS 3.0.3: unixODBC fails

Eugene Grosbein fr at grosbein.net
Thu Jul 24 11:36:35 CEST 2014

Hi!

I'm trying to upgrade to 3.0.3 from FreeRADIUS 2.2.4 that works just fine here
running its DHCP module with my custom Perl code that uses DBI and DBD::ODBC and
unixODBC driver manager and freetds library to connect to MS SQL server.

Version 2.2.4 works as expected. With 3.0.3 (we performed configuration upgrade)
the same custom Perl code starts just fine but then DBI/DBD::ODBC/unixODBC fails to load
freetds library with error message:

[unixODBC][Driver Manager]Can't open lib '/usr/local/lib/libtdsodbc.so' : Invalid shared object handle 0x80851f7c0 (SQL-01000)

Meantime, shell command "dltest /usr/local/lib/libtdsodbc.so" shows:
SUCCESS: Loaded /usr/local/lib/libtdsodbc.so

The command "dltest" comes from unixODBC-2.3.2 package.

Kernel-level syscalls trace of radiusd process shows that,
in fact, no attempt to access /usr/local/lib/libtdsodbc.so is made.

If I move back to version 2.2.4 not changing perl, DBI, DBD::ODBC, unixODBC
or custom perl code, the problem disappears.

What direction should I take while debugging the problem?

Eugene Grosbein