3.x behaviour w.r.t. unused modules

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Jul 31 18:47:05 CEST 2014

I've just noticed something odd. If I have a module in mods-enabled but
it's not referenced anywhere, FreeRADIUS still seems to load it and
perform module instantiation including e.g. setting up connection pools.

I don't think 2.x used to do that, or am I imagining it?

For us that's undesirable as we use "radiusd -n" and start several
processes up, and I don't really want to have multiple mods-enabled just
to avoid instantiating e.g. SQL/redis/LDAP connections in server
processes that don't reference the module.

I can work around it, but am wondering if this is expected?