Client is using MSCHAPv2 for %s, we need NT-Password

Matthew Berry matthew.william.berry at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 04:46:32 CEST 2014

Is this message merely informative, or does it indicate a problem? I'm
attempting to debug my issue with something else and this is the only
line I see that sounds like a warning/error prior to the rejection
happening. From what I see in rlm_mschap.c, I would have seen a
different message if the code could not either find a valid
NT-Password attribute[1] or could not create one from a
Cleartext-Password attribute[2]. Based on the comment left above the
message

>  The old "mschapv2" function has been moved to
>  here

It leads me to believe this line is informative only. (i.e., we need
this attribute to be present, and unless you've seen otherwise it is).

-Matt

[1] https://github.com/FreeRADIUS/freeradius-server/blob/ec8c055b4c8e9358a08d5117b9da6b04d28170eb/src/modules/rlm_mschap/rlm_mschap.c#L1083
[2] https://github.com/FreeRADIUS/freeradius-server/blob/ec8c055b4c8e9358a08d5117b9da6b04d28170eb/src/modules/rlm_mschap/rlm_mschap.c#L1087