Issues with building Freeradius on CentOS 6.5: need rlm_cache

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Fri Jun 13 10:53:51 CEST 2014

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 3:32 PM, Brandon Jozsa <bjozsa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been trying to work through the issues and by searching high and low
> for solutions before turning to this users list. I'm sorry if this is a
> stupid question (I've seen worse though, so maybe I shouldn't feel bad).
>
> I have a very high need to use the rlm_cache module with Freeradius on
> CentOS 6.5. I'm trying to first us the statement:

My issue...CentOS, which is our "approved platform" (I'm rolling my eyes
> and giving air quotes), doesn't have a newer version of Freeradius other
> than 2.1.12. I think the rlm_cache modules are only included in 3.0.0 and
> higher, is that right?

I'm pretty sure rlm_cache is enabled on 2.x.x bundled rpm spec. Not sure
since what version though.

> So, I started looking on how to build from source...and I found one; great
> news I thought!! Enter:
> http://confluence.diamond.ac.uk/display/PAAUTH/FreeRADIUS+specs+and+sources+for+CentOS+6.
> I thought this would save the day, but there are broken links for 3.0.0 and
> I am running into major issues; it just doesn't seem to work at all. I also
> tried to build it out, take the rlm_cache.so lib over to my 2.1.12
> installation, but Freeradius barfed all over that little trick.
>
> What are my options here? I could really use some help. Any ideas?

2.2.5's spec builds rlm_cache. If you can build your own packages, you can
use the bundled spec file.

If you want to use prebuilt packages, try

http://software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=home%3Afreeradius%3A2.x.x%3Acentos&package=freeradius

unofficial, but should work for centos. Upgrading from 2.1.12 to 2.5.5
should be easy enough.

Or, use 3.0.x:
http://software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=home%3Afreeradius%3A3.0.x%3Acentos&package=freeradius

Like Arran side, nicer and easier.