RADIUS, anycast, and high availability

Jason Healy jhealy at logn.net
Thu Jun 26 14:18:57 CEST 2014

Hello all,

We’re looking into using anycast and a group of servers for some of our stateless services (like DNS and NTP) to increase availability, as anycast “automatically” routes traffic to one machine in a group.  I’m wondering if RADIUS is a good candidate for this as well.  Being UDP-based is a good start, but I don’t know if the servers will get annoyed if (say) multiple packets in an EAP conversation don’t go to the same server.  DNS is much simpler as its usually single-shot (request -> reply).

Basically: has anyone else tried it?  Or is this a Bad Idea and I just stick to regular multi-server with failover on the NAS?

Thanks,

Jason