Fwd: LDAP + CHAP

Adam Seed adamjseed at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 15:07:05 CET 2014

OK great, now I understand the root cause...

I have changed my passwords in the ldap (im using openLDAP with
phpldapadmin) to be clear text but still getting radius rejected issue.

The log says: Cleartext-Password is required for authentication but it
should be?!

rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host 10.x.x.100 port 55524, id=14,
length=50
        User-Name = "adamjseed"
        CHAP-Password = 0xf9f798ccef8ac701b1f545d0dda826172a
# Executing section authorize from file
/etc/freeradius/sites-enabled/default
+- entering group authorize {...}
++[preprocess] returns ok
[chap] Setting 'Auth-Type := CHAP'
++[chap] returns ok
++[mschap] returns noop
++[digest] returns noop
[suffix] No '@' in User-Name = "adamjseed", looking up realm NULL
[suffix] No such realm "NULL"
++[suffix] returns noop
[eap] No EAP-Message, not doing EAP
++[eap] returns noop
[ldap] performing user authorization for adamjseed
[ldap]  expand: %{Stripped-User-Name} ->
[ldap]  ... expanding second conditional
[ldap]  expand: %{User-Name} -> adamjseed
[ldap]  expand: (uid=%{%{Stripped-User-Name}:-%{User-Name}}) ->
(uid=adamjseed)
[ldap]  expand: dc=example,dc=com -> dc=example,dc=com
  [ldap] ldap_get_conn: Checking Id: 0
  [ldap] ldap_get_conn: Got Id: 0
  [ldap] performing search in dc=example,dc=com, with filter (uid=adamjseed)
[ldap] No default NMAS login sequence
[ldap] looking for check items in directory...
  [ldap] userPassword -> Password-With-Header == "Password01"
[ldap] looking for reply items in directory...
[ldap] user adamjseed authorized to use remote access
  [ldap] ldap_release_conn: Release Id: 0
++[ldap] returns ok
++[expiration] returns noop
++[logintime] returns noop
[pap] Failed to decode Password-With-Header = "Password01"
[pap] WARNING: Auth-Type already set.  Not setting to PAP
++[pap] returns noop
Found Auth-Type = CHAP
# Executing group from file /etc/freeradius/sites-enabled/default
+- entering group CHAP {...}
[chap] login attempt by "adamjseed" with CHAP password
*[chap] Cleartext-Password is required for authentication*
++[chap] returns invalid
Failed to authenticate the user.
Using Post-Auth-Type Reject
# Executing group from file /etc/freeradius/sites-enabled/default
+- entering group REJECT {...}
[attr_filter.access_reject]     expand: %{User-Name} -> adamjseed
 attr_filter: Matched entry DEFAULT at line 11
++[attr_filter.access_reject] returns updated