Getting the number of currently tracked requests

Louis Munro lmunro at inverse.ca
Tue Mar 4 19:18:46 CET 2014

On 2014-03-03, at 11:11 , Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com> wrote:

>> I realize I can always set it to some value based on the number of
>> clients and just see if there are warnings in the logs about
>> max_requests being too low but I would like to monitor the number of
>> requests to tune FR as much as possible.
>
>  Just set it to a large number.  It's 2014, and your systems should be
> massively over-provisioned with memory.  If you set
>
> 	max_request = 1000000

Thank you.
Point taken about today's systems.

I was wondering if something like the following might work.

(gdb) call fr_packet_list_num_elements(pl)

I could stick it into a file and call gdb in batch mode.
But I am a gdb novice and I am wary of any side-effects, especially regarding performance.

The point would be to monitor the size of the queue as it grows or shrink across time, mostly to see how it correlates with other metrics  (e.g. database latency).
I would stick the return value in a database (something like an rrd maybe) and see how it evloves.

While it might not be relevant to actual capacity planning, I though it could be useful to graph that queue size.

What do you think?

Regards,
--
Louis