X11 Authentication

Jon Spriggs jon at sprig.gs
Thu Mar 6 16:03:47 CET 2014

It's a fair point. I first investigated this about two years ago, and kinda
parked it, so, to be fair, some of these details are a little hazy. I'm
more than happy to drop back into it to check that details are the same,
but it might take a couple of days to run the checks.

In essence, I'm looking to replicate a RSA SecurID GINA style environment,
except not using RSA SecurID or the GINA environment under windows :)

I am using a 2FA solution (with scripts triggered by FreeRadius), that I
know works with SSH and Web Pages, but at it's core, I'm just handling the
RADIUS connections, and making sure the credentials aren't the same twice.

I added the following line to /etc/pam.d/common-auth:

auth sufficient pam_radius_auth.so

I was hoping this would let me log in to the LightDM session using the pam
module, but it was throwing the following message in /var/log/auth:

pam_succeed_if(lightdm:auth): requirement "user ingroup nopasswdlogin"
not met by user "spriggsj"

The system was also submitting multiple repeat issues of the credentials to
the radius server, which was triggering an authentication failure due to
the 2FA requirements for no duplicate credentials submitted.

I will be trying this again on my home system either tonight or tomorrow
night to see whether I'm still getting the same result, and I will report
back :)

--
Jon "The Nice Guy" Spriggs