Old school: FreeRADIUS and NIS

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Mar 10 21:22:03 CET 2014

Adam Bishop wrote:
> I suspect the problem here is either SELinux or the shadow group not existing.

  Quote possibly.

> RHEL doesn't have a shadow group by default - as it's a nasty hack and potential source of vulnerability, you're expected to have the sense to create it yourself if its needed.

  That's unfriendly.  Oh well.

> It's also tagged with a unique policy type:
>
>   [root at orps1 ~]# ls -alZ /etc/shadow
>   ----------. root root system_u:object_r:shadow_t:s0    /etc/shadow
>
> Which I *think* would cause an AVC denial.

  Yes.

> Then there's the small matter of /etc/shadow having no permission mask by default.

  Arg.  That's Unix 101 debugging, TBH.  Track down the root cause of
the problem, and fix it.

> But someone who's been doing this for a long time would have checked such things, or even provided us with the output of strace, right? :)

  Yes.  The people who claim decades of experience usually don't follow
standard practices.  The people who have decades of experience just get
follow standard practice, and things done.