Setting and extending Session-timeout

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon May 19 13:48:29 CEST 2014

On 19/05/2014 11:52, Matej Žerovnik wrote:

> This should update control record for 'dailycounter' and run it if user
> signs from Ethernet NAS port type. In case he logs in via wifi, system
> will skip execution of dailycounter and session-timeout will not be
> sent. Is my thinking correct?

Yes, I think so.

> What if I want to extend session timeout for a certain user?
> I've had success sending a COA packet with radclient. Is it possible to
> change it without running radclient?

Not really. If you're extending a session timeout, that's in response to
an external, non-RADIUS event e.g. administrative configuration, user
self-service.

FreeRADIUS responds to RADIUS packets.

> Can I create a custom sql table where I insert user name and wanted
> session length and radius will read that out and send COA to client?

No, definitely not. FreeRADIUS is event-driven in response to radius
packets.

> Is it possible to somehow get the current set session-timeout for a
> certain user?

You could log the value you returned in post-auth with linelog or sql.

> If not, can I somehow store it in a database on login or update?

Login yes, as above. Update no - as mentioned this is a non-RADIUS event.