MySQL Accounting records advice

Mike Poole mpoole at pavlovmedia.com
Wed May 21 17:23:46 CEST 2014

Using FreeRADIUS 2.1.12 with MySQL 5.5.

Not a freeradius request per se but just wanted to know if others have ideas on accounting records in sql.

We've a mid-size ISP and recently turned on accounting writes to SQL for CALEA.  The table has grown enormously and now dwarfs our other databases (20+ GB in about three months).

Has anyone run into this and did you solve it?  I'm thinking we should be archiving the table and clearing it out on a regular basis either to a file share or mysql  ARCHIVE engine db.

Perhaps even changing the way we do accounting in mysql would be better.  A lot of what we do is constrained by mgmt so not always the most efficient.

Thanks for your help.  Freeradius has worked great for us!

Mike