New RHEL and Fedora package maintainer

Nikolai Kondrashov Nikolai.Kondrashov at redhat.com
Fri May 23 18:18:07 CEST 2014

On 05/23/2014 12:50 AM, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 9:42 PM, Stefan Paetow <Stefan.Paetow at ja.net> wrote:
>> Adrian,
>>
>> AFAIK Fedora's been running with FR 3.0.x for a while now.
>>
>> For CentOS though, you're stuck with 2.2.x for the time being.
>
> I think what Adrian wants is the equivalent of my ppa
> (https://launchpad.net/~freeradius) for rhel/centos/fedora. It'd be
> best (for users) if the build comes with distro-specific
> customizations/patches, but it's fine even if it's just packages built
> using the default recipe included in FR tarball (which is what
> https://launchpad.net/~freeradius/+archive/stable-3.0 does) as long as
> it's close enough.
>
> http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Build_Service provides ppa-like service
> for multiple distros (including rhel/centos/fedora), so
> server/bandwitdh resources shouldn't be an issue. The main resource
> needed would be the time needed to manage the build recipes, and
> fixing it in case something goes wrong.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to provide builds outside the standard channels,
i.e. RHEL and Fedora repos.

For RHEL, QA services are one of the core business values of Red Hat and it
would be against company purpose to provide the packages freely. With Fedora,
it seems it is more relaxed, but still spending effort on extra packaging is
not considered appropriate.

And lastly, frankly, so far I have my hands full trying to keep up with bugs
being reported and releases to be packaged, and still have to learn many
things. This in addition to participating in SSSD development.

However, the Fedora packaging source repository is freely available at
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/freeradius.git so if anyone is willing to
implement it, it could be possible to use that as a source for an automatic
build and publishing system, such as the openSUSE build service.

Nick