NAS-Port always the same

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Mon May 26 17:22:41 CEST 2014

Hi,

>    How do I resolve my issue ?
>    a) we have a wireless access points are controlled by stupid cisco
>    controller

well, simultaneous use for ADSL etc I can understand....but for WiFi?
we're now seeing an avergae of almost 3 devices per person - smartphone, tablet
and laptop seem to be the de rigueur these days - you want to either stop
users getting on with their lives or give them three accounts?

the NAS is the same because the controller is the same.....think of it as an
extrapolated NAS...and think carefully about how wireless and mobility works - you
want that the second they move to another AP that they break your count?

>    b) I wanted to use radtump file for simualtaneous-user

dont. just dont. its horrible, limited, slow and critically doesnt scale. if you REALLY
REALLY want to do this sort of thing then look at using a proper database solution - and
make sure that its fully tuned as putting a check for simultaneous usage into the live
critical path for authentication can cause a bottleneck and therefore failures if not.

might be better off using out-of-band DB (eg with detail file or robust accounting
virtual server and then use CoA against the wireless controller when a breach of
your rules is found.

alan