statistics with radsniff and collectd

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Mon Nov 10 23:23:26 CET 2014

> I am trying to integrate radsniff with collectd as described on the wiki : http://wiki.freeradius.org/guide/stats-with-radsniff#collectd
> I have compiled radsniff 3 statically (it is to be used on a 2.2.5 server) and it seems to be working fine as long as I don't try to write to the collectd socket.
> When I do however I get these errors back from collectd:
>
> radsniff: Failed PUTVAL "pf-auth1-ddc.net.utah.edu/radsniff-exchanged/radius_count-coa_nak" interval=10 1415655243 : Server error: Type `radius_count' isn't defined.
> radsniff: Failed PUTVAL "pf-auth1-ddc.net.utah.edu/radsniff-exchanged/radius_latency-coa_nak" interval=10 1415655243 : Server error: Type `radius_latency' isn't defined.
> radsniff: Failed PUTVAL "pf-auth1-ddc.net.utah.edu/radsniff-exchanged/radius_rtx-coa_nak" interval=10 1415655243 : Server error: Type `radius_rtx' isn't defined.

I never got it working with UDP, feel free to edit the wiki if you do :)

It's not an huge issue, as you can run collectd locally and use it to proxy the stats.

> So it looks like I need to define the types for the radius statistics in collectd's Types.db.

Yep.

> Has anyone got this working? The question is rhetorical as I assume that the wiki's author (at least) got it to work but I don't seem to have the relevant definitions with my version of collectd (5.4.1).
> Would anyone care to share their type definitions?
> I would be much obliged.

Added the link to the wiki. Oops.

http://wiki.freeradius.org/guide/stats-with-radsniff#collectd

They're bundled in the scripts/collectd directory.

FreeRADIUS development team