Fwd: Child is hung (max_request)

srithar jeevadurai srijeevadurai1 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 18:36:45 CET 2014

Hi Alan,

We are using Radius 2.2.1. Can we fix the child hung by putting any patch ?

For my understanding of Radius server behavior

May I know the possible root causes for "Child is hung" ?

In our scenario, I believe that when backlog is growing, some point of time
each request faces "max_request_time" - out so it is giving child is hung
message i.e. the request is in queue but no worker thread has picked it.

> Please let me know whether it is a good idea to set the max_request to
> 3000 so that radius server will not face "child is hung" and no need to
> restart the server to resolve the same.

  It doesn't solve the problem.  It just delays the problem.

May I know why we will not be able to solve and it will delays the problem
please?

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 10:28 PM, Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com>
wrote:

> srithar jeevadurai wrote:
> > Radius server take radius request and only for accouting request (not
> > for access), it will send it to another module via TCP/IP (local server)
> > and the module to convert it to diameter request to send it to IN server.
> > The same module will response to Radius server for any response comes
> > from IN.
> >
> > So Radius server can support only 100 TPS at max.
>
>   Then don't send more that 100 TPS to the RADIUS server.  Otherwise, it
> won't work.
>
> > Because when radius server faces "child is hung", we need to restart to
> > bring it normal.
>
>   For v2, please try the v2.x.x branch.  I've put a patch in which may
> help this.
>
> > Please let me know whether it is a good idea to set the max_request to
> > 3000 so that radius server will not face "child is hung" and no need to
> > restart the server to resolve the same.
>
>   It doesn't solve the problem.  It just delays the problem.
>
>   Alan DeKok.
> -
> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See

Regards,