Enterasys Wireless controller with Mgmt user authentication via RADIUS MSCHAP

Alan Alejandro Villaverde alan.villaverde at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 18:31:37 CET 2014

Understood! Thanks for your support and time guys!

> Alan Alejandro Villaverde wrote:
> > The only way I found to make it works is setting the following lines in
> > the user file:
> >
> > vi users:
> >
> > avillaverde Auth-Type := MSCHAP, Cleartext-Password = "123456"
>
>   Don't do that.  You were told to not do that.  It's not necessary.
> It's wrong.
>
> > It works, but how do you handle 1000 users for example? It turns very
> > difficult to manage the user passwords.
>
>   You put the passwords in a database.  That's what databases are for,
>
> > For instance, if the user change the password in the linux box, then you
> > need to edit the users file to replicate that password.
>
>   i.e. you store the passwords in 2 places, so when the password
> changes, it has to be changed in both places.
>
>   That's not a surprise.
>
> > I have running tacacs+ in the same box, and the user only has to use an
> > unique password for radius and tacacs defined by passwd. I am using PAM
> > authentication for this.
>
>   I have no idea what that means.
>
> > On the other hand, If I work with PAP I can handle the users like a
> > Linux user, so the managament is easier and it depends on the final
> > user. The user can access the linux box and change his password with a
> > simple passwd and all is replicated for tacacs and freeradius. It is the
> > way how is working today, but I was requested to set MSCHAP
> > authentication due to security audits.
>
>   MS-CHAP isn't much more secure than PAP.
>
> > When user try to access wireless controller, he puts his password and
> > then radius checks the password with the passwd file or shadow file
> > without any necesity of "editing radius users file"
>
>   MS-CHAP is incompatible with /etc/passwd.  It's impossible to use them
> both.
>
> > I think I am missing something regarding how to set MSCHAP
> > authentication, and that radius checks the password without using
> > Cleartext-Password in the USERS file.
>
>   The server doesn't care where it gets the password from.  It doesn't
> matter if it's the "users" file, a database, or anywhere else.
>
>   The server DOES care about the format of the password.  MS-CHAP
> requires clear-text passwords, *or* NT hashed passwords.  Neither format
> can be stored in /etc/passwd.
>
>   It's impossible to "work around" this.  Don't even try.
>
>   Alan DeKok.
> -
> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See

Alan Alejandro Villaverde.

                                    ,JL.
                                  j@, Zv
                                uJ.u at qJ
                              :LBO:v1
                           :r1@  MB
                          G1 rB8Ur          ,
                         r at Ei  O        .7  @.
                       :N,:BBO05v,:, :7  u  Or
                      vM at r:E: rqr,:  .v  X  Or
                    7 at r v at U   ,@:::  5  .L  M:
                  YO:2 at OS.     .   .7:  N  iP
                  Y at riBr      ,:i:::  :q  ,q.
                    qk              :ii  YO.
                             iv7r77r   iGF              :7v7
                                    :u0u.   7Lj      ;5k1r7BN
                            7P552552v:      LUM1,  7FUi:..v at B
                                              ik7JMJ. ..,v at rk.
      _..._                                    Y8. vL: .5 at v E.
    .'     '.                                 ui,N: .G.O@:  @
   /  _   _  \                              .P:   J7LEBO   Bi
   | (o)_(o) |                             .1      i at B7  .MU
    \(     ) /                             2     :M at u  .uMi
    //'._.'\ \                            :k  :U at BOi:vSM2B
   //   .   \ \                            7E at B@B at O8PrMk ;B
_)``".____,.'"` (_                 ..,:i;7vjuFXZEOMMBBL:::.rB at B@B@
)     )'--'(     (           .,::ir77vvJjuu2UF5SS00GZOMBB at B@B at B@B at B@
 '---`      `---` ::iirr77rrr77vLLLjuu25FXPNZGMOOO at B@B at B@B@@@B at B@B at B