rlm_perl multiple processes/threads behavior

Nick Rogers ncrogers at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 20:20:45 CEST 2014

Hello,

I am hoping someone can clarify some questions I have about how rlm_perl
should behave in FreeRADIUS 2.2.5 with respect to multiple instances and
freeradius threads. I know there has been some discussion and changes/fixes
to this behavior over the years, and I've been using rlm_perl successfully
for nearly the last decade. Previously rlm_perl had its own "thread" pool,
where multiple instances of the perl process would run simultaneously. Now
I understand that rlm_perl uses the same freeradius thread management that
everything else does.

My problem is that my freeradius rlm_perl installation no longer spawns
multiple instances of the perl process, effectively causing my server to be
single threaded, which has begun to cause performance issues at some of my
larger sites with increased load.

I do not have perl with multiplicity or ithreads compiled, as this causes
issues with other perl applications running on the same server. My question
is, is there a way to support multiple instances of the rlm_perl
interpreter without having ithreads or multiplicity compiled with perl?

Is there a way for freeradius to simply launch a perl process for every
freeradius server thread, instead of all threads relying on the same
rlm_perl process? I am not interested in using perl threads or having
multiple perl interpreters within the same perl process. I would really
appreciate some clarification if this is possible or not.

Thanks!

-Nick