Beginner need help

Frank Wei Frank.Wei at 4rf.com
Thu Sep 25 07:14:50 CEST 2014

Hi,

I'm confused about the definition of "NAS-IP-Address" in RFC 2865:

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
This Attribute indicates the identifying IP Address of the NAS
which is requesting authentication of the user, and SHOULD be
unique to the NAS within the scope of the RADIUS server. NAS-IPAddress
is only used in Access-Request packets. Either NAS-IPAddress
or NAS-Identifier MUST be present in an Access-Request
packet.

Note that NAS-IP-Address MUST NOT be used to select the shared
secret used to authenticate the request. The source IP address of
the Access-Request packet MUST be used to select the shared
secret.
The description first said NAS-IP-Address is the IP Address of the NAS which is requesting authentication of the user.
Then description said the source IP address (not the NAS-IP-Address) of the Access-Request packet MUST be used to select the shared secret.

My understanding is that source IP address of the Access-Request packets must be the NAS IP address which is "NAS-IP-Address". Apparently this is different to the Attribute description.

Could anybody explain?

Best Regards,